Working a demanding 9-5 corporate job while trying to grow your side hustle is no easy feat…
but it doesn’t have to be SO hard!
I get it. I’ve been in your shoes. You still want to bring in income while you grow your side hustle with the goal of it soon replacing your corporate salary (or, better yet, exceeding it!).
You’re in a transition state- you can’t leave your 9-5 yet. You need to make sure you’re performing in your job while also doing the necessary work it takes to GROW your side hustle so you can leave.
It can feel like a catch-22.
I often hear from clients that it feels like a neverending battle with time.
Not enough time to master both and still have a personal life.
While you can’t add more hours to your day, there are strategies you can use to:
- Build time for your business into your busy schedule (without working until midnight each day)
- Manage your time effectively so you can get more done in less time
- Create boundaries so you don’t overextend yourself
Let me show you how…
The most powerful tool I used when growing my side hustle while working my 9-5 was timeblocking.
Timeblocking is exactly what it sounds like- looking at your calendar and blocking out chunks of time for you to focus on a specific task.
And it doesn’t end there. You need to actually BOOK this time with yourself. Treat each timeblock as if it’s an appointment with yourself. Block it so you don’t book something else and so that no one else books that time with you.
I know what you’re thinking- there are no gaps of time in my schedule to implement this.
I felt the same way.
How do you build more time for your business into your busy schedule?
Here are a few tips:
- Eliminate non-value adding tasks. This applies to ALL areas of your life. Look at your personal life. What are you doing that really doesn’t add value to you, your business, your relationships, etc.? When it comes to your 9-5, what are things that you volunteer for/raise your hand for that you don’t really need to do?
- Simplify/Streamline: What can you simplify/streamline in both your 9-5 and personal life? Try creating standard work for yourself to better understand where and how you’re spending time. Ask yourself: “How can I make this easier?” “How can this be done in fewer steps?”
- Automate: What systems can support some of the routine work you do? This could include software that posts to your social media platforms for you, email marketing service that email your audience on a schedule of your choice, invoicing services so you don’t have to track client payments, etc.
- Delegate/Outsource: What work can be done by someone other than you? Think about freelancers (this is great for graphic designs/brochures/marketing material), VAs for administrative tasks (some can be hired for 10 hours/week at a low hourly rate), interns, etc.
Since you’ve cleaned up your tasks using the ESAD model, look back at your calendar and block out the gaps of time that you were able to create! Again, make an appointment with yourself so you can truly hold this time for yourself and what you need to do in order to grow your side hustle.
Now that you’ve built more time for your business into your busy schedule and blocked it out on your calendar, it’s time to make sure you use this time effectively!
This means planning out what you intend to accomplish during each timeblock.
The biggest mistake I see corporate entrepreneurs make is going into a timeblock unsure of what they should be working on.
When you have 1 or 2 hours blocked out for you to spend on tasks focused on growing your side hustle, you need to make sure that this time is well-spent.
When planning what work you want to accomplish during a timeblock, consider the following:
- What is realistic for this period of time. There is nothing more unmotivating than looking at a to-do list that is longer than the amount of time you have to complete it! Make sure you are setting yourself up for success by being realistic with what you can accomplish for that period of time!
- Consider working on “like” tasks during each timeblock. For example, focus on tasks that are related to one another so you aren’t having to change your mind track too often, especially in a short period of time. This could mean spending a time block on social media (drafting, posting, etc.) or on administrative tasks (emails, weekly planning, etc.).
- Where you want to get this work done so you won’t be interrupted. This could be in your home office, a conference room at your 9-5, a coffee shop, etc. Where will you be able to focus without distractions?
Now that you’ve timeblocked gaps in your calendar and planned out what you want to accomplish during each timeblock, it’s time create boundaries so you can hold yourself accountable to getting the work done needed to scale your side hustle into a full-time business.
What will you challenge yourself to say NO to?
Saying “no” can be difficult for most. I know I had a hard time with it myself (and I’m still trying to be more mindful of it).
However, when you say “yes” to something, you are saying “no” to something else! An example of this is if your friend asks you to help them move one day when you have a timeblock to get work done for your business. Saying “yes” to that favor for your friend means you are saying “no” to getting your work done that you already scheduled.
Now, you could move that timeblock, but if your schedule is already packed, chances are there isn’t another timeblock to get it done.
Aside from favors, “extra” project work at your 9-5, etc., you may also need to say “no” to yourself. This could mean binging Netflix for an afternoon, going on an impromptu lunch date with a friend, scrolling social media, and so on. What distractions or common interruptions do you need to tell yourself “no” to?
Hold yourself accountable to what you will start saying “no” to. Start with a few things and gradually add to your list.
Test out these tips for building time into your busy schedule to grow your side hustle, managing your time effectively, and creating boundaries so you don’t overextend yourself, and let me know how they go!
Ready to turn your service-based side hustle into a full-time online business so you can experience time freedom doing work you love?
Join my FREE Masterclass “How to Turn Your Service-based Side Hustle into a Full-time Online Business” on June 15th where I will cover:
✅ How to overcome the 4 limiting beliefs that are preventing you from turning your side hustle into a full-time business
✅ Common mistakes corporate side hustlers make that keep them from going full-time with their business
✅ 4 C’s of the Side Hustle to Main Hustle Methodology
✅ You’ll learn how to embody a CEO mindset, attract dream clients, simplify your systems and processes, and master sales calls!
Hot seat coaching at the end- get your questions answered!